Observations are a timely topic within my current program as we continue an in-house discussion on faculty evaluations. A TESOL’s Higher Education Interest Section (HEIS) October newsletter just came out. In this issue I contributed the article “Classroom Observations: Announced or Unannounced,” exploring the role and purpose of supervisory classroom observations.
Below is an excerpt of 6 focus questions to frame the observation approach:
- What is the current relationship between the supervisor and the organization as a collective?
- What is the current relationship between the supervisor and the individual members?
- What is the current supervisory observation practice?
- How clearly has the supervisor communicated the purpose of classroom observations?
- How well do these observations achieve their stated purpose?
- What do the individual members believe is the purpose of classroom observations?